Today I'm welcoming author Jennifer Chase to the blog, to share her writing tips and tell us about the latest novel in her award winning Emily Stone series, Dark Pursuit. I particularly love her advice (or anti-advice) for new writers. She's very wise.
What do you write?
I write crime thrillers and I bring the reader into the criminal mind of a serial killer. I enjoy writing the terrifying aspects of the criminal mind and different perspectives of crime scene investigation in order to tell a story.
Tell us about one of your books in 3 sentences.
In Dark Pursuit, vigilante detective Emily Stone hunts serial killers alone and under the law enforcement radar. She battles her own internal demons as she uses all of her skills to find the serial killer before he kills another young victim. The Tick-Tock killer mocks the police, the community, and baits Emily Stone before he draws her into his trap.
Why do you write? Give us three reasons.
1. I write because it’s in my DNA.
2. I write because I love the challenge of creating characters both good and bad.
3. I write because it’s a wonderful expression to share a thrilling story.
Complete the following sentences:
· My first ever published piece of writing was… a movie review.
· A book about writing I love is… First Draft in 30 days by Karen S. Wiesner.
· A novel I love is… The Count of Monte Cristo.
· My favorite place to write is… in my quiet office.
· Something/someone who helped me improve my writing is… writing a little bit of something every day.
· Writing is… a way of life.
· Editing is… a necessary evil.
· Publishing is… a fantastic and rewarding experience.
Describe yourself in six words.
Driven. Loyal. Inquisitive. Friend. Analytical. Artistic.
Why are you artistic?
Work? My work does not feel like work in the standard way. It is a new journey every single day.
What’s your next big writing challenge?
I am working on a new forensic mystery series. With this series, I’m writing from first person. I have never done that before, but I’m having a great time.
What advice would you give to a brand new writer?
Don’t listen to any advice, at least for a while. Write what YOU love and not what someone else says that you should. Write. Write. Write. Never stop improving your writing.
What does your current Twitter or other online profile say?
My twitter profile: Freelance writer, consulting criminologist, and award-winning author of the Emily Stone Thriller Series. Screenwriter. Loves photography, hiking, and dogs
Anything else you would like to say?
Thank you so much for hosting my Dark Pursuit Book Tour today! Also, I hope those who enjoy action thrillers take a chance on me and pick up ( or load up) one of my Emily Stone novels. I love to hear from readers, so don’t be shy.
Where can we find you online?
Amazon Author Page
Stay In Touch
To hear about new releases, freebies, special offers and discounts.